CARAVANSERAIS OF CAPPADOCIA

CARAVANSERAIS OF CAPPADOCIA

 

CARAVANSERAIS OF CAPPADOCIA

Caravanserais have been used since the 10th century. Trade across Asia Minor (Turkey) in mediaeval Seljuk times was dependent on camel trains  (kervan, anglicised as caravan), which stopped by night in inns known as «kervansaray» or caravanserai, literally 'caravan palaces'. These buildings provided accommodation and other amenities for the merchants and stabling for their animals. Caravanserais were first seen in Central Asia during the times of Caravans, Ghaznavids and the Great Seljuk State. They were building fortresses called Ribat. These buildings, first constructed as small buildings for military uses were later developed and changed into larger buildings and were used for both religious purposes and as inns for travellers. 
Especially during the times of Seljuk Sultans Kilicarslan II and Alaaddin Keykubat I, the construction of these buildings increased after the security of the trading roads was provided by the state. The loss of the trades would be met by the states, which is accepted to be the first insurance system. During that period, both domestic and foreign trades prospered. In this way, the Seljuk rulers, who were already economically powerful, became politically strong, too. 

In caravanserais, the foreign as well as the native traders would be put up for three days. Their shoes would be repaired or the poor would be given new shoes. The ill would be treated and animals would be tended and, if needed horses would be shoed. For their religious practices, they would use the Kosk Mescid, a small mosque located in the centre of the courtyard and considered the most important part of the caravanserais. These mosques were normally built on an arched base. 

The courtyards were usually surrounded with bedrooms, depots, bath house and bathrooms. Mangals (braziers) or tandirs (oven in the ground) were used to heat the places whereas candles and lamps were for light. All services were provided by the people working in caravanserais; such as doctor, imam (prayer leader), depot officer, veterinarian, messenger, blacksmith, and cook. 
Stones cut from the volcanic rock were used in the construction of the caravanserais in the region of Cappadocia. Those structures had walls very much like those of the castles and strongholds. Some of the best examples of Seljuk stonemasonry can be seen at the entrances, called Tac Kapi. Dragons, lions motifs and floral designs were the general ornamentation, however in Cappadocia geometrical designs were mostly preferred. The doors were made of iron. 
Caravanserais were built along roads running from Antalya - Konya - Kayseri to the land of Turkomans passing through Erzurum and Tabriz and from the Black Sea region to Iraq via Amasya - Tokat - Sivas - Malatya - Diyarbakir at a distance of 30-40 km, a one day camel trek.

It is possible to see some of the most beautiful examples of caravanserais in the region of Cappadocia, especially between Aksaray and Kayseri, since it is an intersection, east to west and south to north; Sultanhani in Aksaray, Agzikarahan in Aksaray and Sarihan in Avanos. The Caravanserais of Cappadocia in central Turkey were built of hewn volcanic stone, and their walls were thick and high so that they would be safe from raids by robbers. Decoration was concentrated on the great portals which display the finest examples of Seljuk stone carving. 

When Europeans found new ways to China, the Silk Road started to lose importance and of course the caravanserais as well. After the 15th and 16th centuries, most of the caravanserais were never used again.

 

Aksaray Sultanhani (literally sultan’s khan) Caravanserai

The richly carved portal of Sultanhani Caravanserai, which projects from the walls, and the towers at each corner lend the building a monumental aspect. The portal is made of marble of several colours and leads into the courtyard, in the centre of which is a pavilion mosque. Along the right-hand side of the courtyard is a decorated colonnade and to the left storage rooms and chambers. To the north is an area where both animals and people were accommodated. 

Agzikarahan (Black Mouth) Caravanserai

The next caravanserai located on this route, 15 km outside Aksaray on the Nevsehir road, is Agzikarahan, which bears the same name as the village where it is situated. It is alternatively known as Hoca Mesud Kervansaray, after its founder. The first of its two inscriptions tell us that its construction was commenced in 1231 by a wealthy merchant named Hoca Mesud bin Abdullah and completed in 1239. The hall was built during this time by Alaaddin Keykubat I and the courtyard by his son Giyaseddin Keyhusrev II (1237-1246). With its great portals, pavilion mosque, towers and other architectural features, this caravanserai is reminiscent of the castle-like royal hans (Sultanhani). The pavilion mosque is raised upon a four arched sub-structure and stands in the middle of the courtyard, which is surrounded by colonnades and closed rooms. 
The carved decoration of Agzikarahan is notable for the absence of the human figures, animals and floral motifs typical of the period. The hamam or bath house is in the rectangular building standing apart to the south. 

Tepesidelik Han

Agzikarahan Caravanserai is followed by Tepesidelik Han (also known as Oresin Han) 17 km away. This caravanserai has a covered courtyard and since the inscription is missing, it is not known exactly when it was built or by whom. Researchers agree however, that it probably dates from the third quarter of the 13th century. The portal and part of the dome has collapsed, but the spaces roofed by cradle vaults and supported by symmetrically placed groups of three columns around the pendentive dome are striking in appearance. 

Alayhan Caravanserai

A further 12 km on is Alayhan, one of the first caravanserais built by sultans, but now divided in two by the present Aksaray - Nevsehir road. This building may be what in written sources is referred to as the Kilicarslan II Kervansaray. Royal caravanserais generally consisted of one open and one covered section. Unfortunately the open section of this caravanserai has been completely destroyed, leaving only part of the covered section consisting of three bays roofed by seven vaults. The portal is decorated with geometric motifs and seven rows of mukarnas (stalactite) carving, and features a carved lion with a single head and double body. 

Sarihan Caravanserai

Sarihan (also spelled as Saruhan, meaning Yellow Caravanserai) covers an area of 2000 sq. m and was built during the reign of Izzettin Keykavus II (1249-1254), perhaps by him, in 1249. It is constructed of smoothly hewn yellow, pink and beige stone. Two contrasting colours of stone are used to decorative effect on the arches of the main outer portal and inner portal. Restoration of this caravanserai, parts of which were in ruins, was completed in 1991. This was the last caravanserai to be built by the Seljuk sultans. Today, the Whirling Dervish’s Ceremony is performed nightly at the Sarihan Caravanserai. 

Kayseri Sultanhani Caravanserai

Another important caravanserai is Kayseri Sultanhani in the village of Tuzhisar 45 km from Kayseri on the Sivas Road. The inscription on its hall portal tells us that it was built between 1232 and 1236 by Alaaddin Keykubat I. This caravanserai covers an area of 3900 sq.m and its plan is similar to that of Aksaray Sultanhani. The portal in the north wall is flanked by semi-circular towers with square bases. Although this partially ruined portal is typical of classical Seljuk portals, the towers enhance its grandeur. A hall with high arches leads into the square courtyard, in the centre of which is a pavilion mosque raised on arches. On the northwest side of the courtyard is a domed hamam in five sections which is entered via a door at the northwest corner of the arcade to the right. This caravanserai was restored in 1951. 

Karatayhan Caravanseri

The last caravanserai in Cappadocia area is Karatayhan built by Celaleddin Karatay on the old Kayseri-Malatya road, part of the main trade route into Syria. Construction commenced during the reign of Alaaddin Keykubat and was completed during that of his son Giyaseddin Keyhusrev in 1240/1241. The inscription opens with the words, 'This building belongs to God, who is One, Eternal, and Everlasting'. Celaleddin Karatay came from Kayseri to see the finished building, and was so overwhelmed by its magnificence that he sped away again, afraid that he would be carried away by pride in his own accomplishment. The endowment deed of Karatayhan tells us that it was built to serve both commercial and social functions. The ornately carved portal which dominates the south wall measures 46 by 80 metres, and projects both beyond and above the wall. The decoration includes floriated and figurative as well as geometric motifs, which distinguishes it from other caravanserais. An “eyvan” (open-fronted vaulted hall) with pointed vault leads from the portal into the courtyard. Along the eastern side of the courtyard is a series of long narrow chambers with pointed vaults opening directly onto the courtyard, while an arcade runs down the western side. Like the towns and villages through which the trade roads passed, the vicinity of the caravanserai once turned into small commercial centres. This was true of Karatayhan, which in the 13th century stood at a junction of roads.

 

REGIONS AND SITES OF CAPPADOCIA

♦ Underground City of Derinkuyu - the largest & deepest excavated subterranean city, which could house up to 20.000 people 
♦ Underground City of Kaymakli - the next largest excavated subterranean city, which could house up to 5.000 people 
♦ Göreme National Park & Open-air Museum - cave churches with frescoes 

♦ Zelve Valley & Open-air Museum - an empty cave town with churches 
♦ Paşabağ (Monk Valley) - mushroom-shaped fairy chimneys 
♦ Ihlara Valley - the deepest gorge of Anatolia 
♦ Devrent Valley (Imagination Valley) - animal-shaped fairy chimneys 
♦ Uchisar Castle - A rock-cut castle. You’ll see it driving back and forth 
♦ Ortahisar Castle - Troglodyte village with rock-cut castle 
♦ Sobessos -  The only late-Roman/early-Byzantine settlement found in Cappadocia, mosaic pavements, Roman baths 
♦ Avanos Town - Town of pottery & craftsmanship 
♦ Hacibektaş Town - Centre of Bektasi sect of Islam 
♦ Gülşehir Town - First settlements in Cappadocia 
♦ Caravanserais - Inns, «caravan palaces» on camel trains through Asia Minor


Kaktüs Tourism Travel Agency - Pera Air and Tourism
Cumhuriyet Mah. Nakiye Elgün Sok. No: 22 Osmanbey Apt. D.1 Şişli 34380 Istanbul / Turkey
Phone : 0 212 241 05 66 (pbx) Fax : 0 212 241 72 88
info@peraair.com | Operation License : A - 2713
Designed and Coded by INFOTEKNIK